Saturday, April 17, 2010

A "Pure" Republican?

Recently the Republican National Committee was presented with, and concurrently denied, a proposal that would have offered a standard for the type of candidates to whom the RNC could provide financial support. Dubbed a "purity test", the measure would have mandated that any possible candidates must adhere to at least seven of the ten planks of the proposed platform.


While it has been defeated, support for this idea, or one similar to it, remains high within the Republican hierarchy. In today's polarized
and fringe dominated political scene, this purity test was seen as an attempt to eliminate and isolate some of the more moderate party members, such as: Meghan McCain, Senators Olympia Snowe (R-ME), and John Thune (R-SD). An interesting note is that when one subjects Ronald Reagen's presidency to this "purity test" he would fail the test, only receiving a score of 6 out of 10!

Out of curiosity I took the test to see where where I stood. (Below are listed the planks followed by my answers.)


  • We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill;
This is a simple yes, I support pursuing economic policies that would lower taxes and provide a framework to lower the deficit for our own and future generations.

  • We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run healthcare;
Again another yes, the government role in healthcare should be limited to helping business' to be better bale to afford healthcare for their employees through an intensive tax break or credit system. the other changes should all be market led, such as allowing the purchase of insurance across state lines.

  • We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation;
I believe that cap and trade legislation hurts business and would not provide the necessary spark and push that our country needs to obtain its energy independence. I believe that increased nuclear power through lower loan costs as well as providing tax credits to companies who produce renewable energy through means such as: wind, solar, and hydro systems. Another Yes!


  • We support workers’ right to secret ballot by opposing card check;
This is a simple yes, its a basic American concept.

  • We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants;
This question gave me a pause. I believe that amnesty is not the way to go because in no way does it provide a deterrent for breaking the law, thus making illegal immigration okay. However, I don't believe this plank goes far enough, because I believe immigration standards should be eased and reevaluated to a modern and efficient system. So I guess i score a half a point?

  • We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges;
This is another simple yes. Why have military advisers if you aren't going to listen to them? Check!


  • We support the containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate the nuclear weapons threat.
I support aggressive economic sanctions and international pressures to contain the nuclear ambitions of both Iran and North Korea. So, yes!
  • We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act;
OK, so now I have an issue. I do not support this cause because I believe that the "Party of Lincoln" is the party of the people. The party of protecting peoples rights. It seems impossible to me that the party that passed the Fourteenth Amendment and fought for equal rights long before the Democrats championed it, could be so willing to deny rights to anyone. So no, equal protection for everyone means everyone, regardless of color, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

  • We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; and
I agree whole-heartedly. While I will admit that I am Pro-Choice, I do not believe that the federal government should fund abortion. In case your wondering, my Pro-Choice stance derives from the fact that I believe it is a personal right, and though it should be HEAVILY regulated, it should remain legal.

  • We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership;
Yes, as an avid hunter and participant in Sporting Clays competitions, I completely support this plank.

Even though I believe in concepts most hard-lining Republicans oppose, my score was an 8.5 out of 10. I don't support the proposal simply because I believe diversified opinions bring life to the party and result in better solutions and better ideas.

Hope you enjoyed my first post! If you'd like, take the test yourself and comment about your scores, whether Republican or Democrat, I'd love to hear your opinions!

Later,
Cody


(Photo: Courtesy of Getty Images)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cody,

    Just wanted to say that I like the blog and that I look forward to reading your political thoughts in the future.

    ~Cat

    ReplyDelete